How to prepare for the launch of the Unitary Patent system
Get ahead of the Unitary Patent: Download the answers to our frequently asked questions below!
(Last update: 25 March 2022)
The route to implementation of the proposed unitary patent and Unified Patent Court (UPC) system has been far from easy. With it now projected to come into effect before the end of 2022, we set out the answers to some frequently asked questions in our latest white paper 'The Unitary Patent: A practical guide'.
After many twists and turns, the unitary patent and Unified Patent Court (UPC) are on the horizon for the end of 2022/beginning 2023, but there are still some hurdles to overcome. Although the exact date of entry into force is not yet known, now is the time to start planning for the launch of this new European patent system, including considering which patents should be opted out during the 'sunrise' period. In this white paper, we set out the answers to some frequently asked questions to help businesses prepare.
'The Unitary Patent: A practical guide' answers the following key questions:
- What is a unitary patent?
- When will the unitary patent enter into force?
- How will the Unified Patent Court system work?
- How do I know if a unitary patent is right for me?
- What will be the jurisdiction of the UPC?
- Will the Unitary Patent cover the whole of the EU?
- How do I apply for a unitary patent?
- How much will a unitary patent cost?
- What translations are needed?
- Do I have to bring my dispute before the Unified Patent Court?
- How can I derogate (opt out) from the jurisdiction of the UPC?
- What transitional measures have been introduced by the EPO to facilitate early use of the unitary patent?
- What strategy should I adopt?
- Do I need to do anything now?
Sign up to our newsletter to ensure you receive our future updates on the Unified Patent Court and unitary patent system or contact us for dedicated advice.